Saturday, December 29, 2007

Army Special Forces

I'm really not sure who reads my blog other than a few close friends, but i'll continue doing it even if just for myself. If you know me I'm sure i've mentioned my desire to go into the Army over the past few months but I haven't really written about it, or discussed it in full.

Ever since I was a kid I've always enjoyed playing "army man" either with myself or with others. When I was younger living in Maryland our house backed up to 100+ achers of woods, creeks and exposed rock faces. And I often found myself floating down a creek with eyes at water level, clinging to the banks with visions of enemy patrols scouring the surrounding woods or sending a friend out in the winter to see if I could track him (i could). I would hike, explore and play in those woods for hours upon hours. If not with a friend then with myself. When I was in middle school I found the shell of an Army BDU jacket with my name on it. And despite being my first name it called to me. I joined the Boy Scouts and loved the hiking, the "roughing it" and the camaraderie. Something has always been there that fascinated me.

Maybe it's this sense of exploration or a new challenge that has driven me to this decision. Maybe I want to prove something to myself or experience that sense of camaraderie again. Maybe it's just another fanciful dream fueled by my imagination. Either way i've sat on the idea for 4 months or so and it's still something I want to do. Not because I want to play "army man" like in the woods I played in but for reasons that may seem silly to some, yet meaningful to myself; and is that not a good reason to do something? You are the only person that knows what's best for yourself. And despite the possible dangers, it's something I want to do. Everyone has their reasons, all that matters is it was for exactly that; their own reasons.

While I'm on the subject, check out these videos of gunships. The first being a Huey with a minigun and the second an AC130 Gunship. I would hate to be on the receiving end of either of those things. But I bet its one hell of a show for those guys marking the target in the second video.

1 comment:

liveluckyx said...

Stumbled across your blog, and I've no clue who you are, but I think it's interesting to hear from some one who wants to join, only because I know so many people who want to get away from it.
My Father has been in the Army since he was 17 years old. To be brutally honest, it's changed him in many ways for the worse because of some of the things he's seen. but of course without sacrifices, you cannot appreciate your gains. He is one of the strongest people I know because of it. In the end, he wouldn't have half the strength he has now if he didn't join. I don't think he would have been able to endure a lot of hardships he faced if he didn't have that experience. He doesn't have much of an education, but has made a really great life for himself compared from where he started. He is particularly clever with a lot of things ordinary people cannot grasp. Of course...there are a lot of more "human" parts (figuratively speaking) of him missing.
I hope that didn't make me sound too much like an Army Reserves commercial. It's just an observation.