Friday, December 21, 2007

The Universe = Math

I've been told that ever since I was a baby i've had an infatuation with figuring things out. Trying to understand the world around me and myself. I used to have 5 VCR's in my closet I took apart and failed to put back together. I've blown up radios and electrocuted myself while taking apart a Commodore 64 printer. And since about the 9th grade i've been interested in figuring out "deeper" things I guess you could say. In a world history class in high school I discovered Buddhism and immediately picked up a dozen books I have to this day. After taking a few philosophy classes in college i've done the same with Aristotle, Kant and Hoobes. Ill often find myself debating why people do this, or how is something else possible and usually i'll hit a brick wall; and love it. I've decided cornering yourself into one way of thinking is an insult to the human intellect and it's possibilities; and that is no way I want to live. A few months ago I picked up a book entitled Coincidences. Chaos, and All That Math Jazz and pretty much haven't touched it since halfway through. I'll get into it again soon, but my laziness is beside the point. We really do live in a world of mathematical chaos and to deny such claims is purely stupid. Take a look around you and you'll see it everywhere. Thats why when I came across this post from someone else I had to share.
Perhaps the definitive reason religion was initially accepted was because no one seemed to be able to explain how earth and human life was created. The requirements to make human life are so specific, how can pure randomness produce them? But I’ve never really understood why the concept was so hard to grasp. Yes, it involves understanding the basics of probability and the relativity of global and universal magnitudes, but so little of them that anyone can grasp this. So here it is: It’s all about the relationship between probability and sample size. Simply put, it’s a direct relationship: the larger the reference size is, the higher the probability that something seemingly impossible will happen within it. That is precisely what happens in this case. Here’s an example: If I asked you what you thought the probability that someone would roll a “6″ consecutively 1000 times in a row, you’d say very very very slim. But, if I were to say every single person on the entire earth was rolling dice — then what would the probability be? Near guaranteed to happen once, actually. The person who rolled “6″ consecutively 1000 times might think they are really quite special, but in reality, the event is unsurprisingly expected. A random thing to you and I isn’t random at all when your reference size is 5 billion people. This is exactly the case with the creation of human life as well — except it’s actually way more likely. I’m not saying humans aren’t amazing as a specimen, and I’m certainly not saying the conditions required for humans aren’t incredibly specific. I’m simply saying that knowing that the earth is one planet inside one galaxy, and there are one hundred billion galaxies, it’s suddenly not so improbable anymore. The chance that something seemingly random as human life can happen with a reference size of one-hundred billion samples is really quite high. It’s not a phenomenon, it’s not a miracle — it’s math. It was predictable. It always has been.

I couldn't have said it better or in more simpler terms myself. Via thoughtflow

No comments: