Monday, December 10, 2007

Jarhead

Probably one of the best books I've read in a long long time. Granted it has been a long long time since I've actually read a book, I'd like to point out I still have a knack for honing in on good story telling among other things. Reguadless, I'm glad I stubbled across Jarhead for $4 in Borders. I remember seeing the movie years ago when it came out with Jake Gyllenhaal and brilliant actor/comedian/musician Jamie Foxx. I remember it being an alright film but much like many book to movie films there is something lost in translation. And further more because these we're real life experiences told so vividly by one man himself, even more was lost on the big screen. I'm only about a third of the way through, but so far Swofford's personal memoir of his time in the Gulf War including vivid tales of events like being stationed in Okinawa are some of the most personal and heartfelt words you'll ever hear come out of a grown man let alone a soldier.

No comments: