Friday, February 29, 2008

Fox & Friends

I posted a little video a few days showing a comedian by the name of Lee Camp on Fox News. While his rant wasn't really tactful and he didn't really take the huge opportunity to say something mind blowing, you have to support him for taking a stab at Fox 'News'. He apparently has received a huge amount of emails about the video and went on to discuss the situation in the following article.
What happened after they cut to a commercial? Clayton Morris was visibly furious but didn't say a word. Neither did anyone in the main studio. I got up, took my microphone off, and walked silently back to the greenroom, itching to the get the fuck out of that sixth circle of hell. Back in the greenroom I saw the female co-host, who was wearing her normal business skirt that is only half an inch away from illegal in 23 states. Even though there are three TV's back there showing nothing but Fox "News" (and we act like water boarding is torture?) she apparently had not watched the segment. She looked at me and said, "GREAT JOB!! We need more humor on the show. It's all so serious!" She did not get to the natural conclusion of her thought, "Now excuse me. I have to go interview strippers wearing Star Trek outfits designed for three-year-olds."

I then left the building without speaking to anyone. Following the break, intrepid newshound Clayton Morris pretended on-air as if he had thrown me out of the building. Here's
the clip: He says something like, "I had to get rid of that guy!" The other anchor then says something like, "Well, it shows we have both sides of the issues here at Fox News." They then go on to interview the naked Star Trek chicks. (...)

Everyone has been amused with the irony that after I said my remarks respectable journalist Clayton Morris hit back with, "You can get all the news you can at Fox," and then sends it over to a story about Captain Kirk's lovers, which would not have been a news story even if it had been covered during Star Trek's actual run 38 years ago. (...)

This helps answer the last question - Wasn't my tirade a little rude and lacking in class? A few people who agree with what I said have asked this. My own mother said I should have warned the nice news people that I was going to trash them. My view of a lack of class is knowing that nearly a million civilians have died in Iraq and yet then reporting that 80,000 have. My view of unrefined is calling peace activists "anti-American." My view of barbaric is being aware that genocide goes on in Darfur but refusing to speak about it on-air because the people funding it are your corporate friends. My view of disrespectful is calling the first probable African American nominee for president "Muslim" in hopes that it will inspire enough racism in your viewers to defeat him in November. My idea of vulgar is creating false "news" stories that have some relation to naked women so that you can show clips of those women while you discuss it in a "professional" manner.

I realize I'm a comedian, and I realize my job is not to tell the truth. But in a situation like this, I feel it's a crime not to. Plus, all the best comedians have spoken the truth - Bruce, Carlin, Pryor, Hicks. So I don't give a fuck if people say "that's not funny."
alternet.org | read article

A little comment from a fellow digg user:
Roger Ailes, the President of Fox News was former George H.W. Bush's campaign manager. He put Rush Limbaugh on the air, helped Reagan get re-elected, and is an openly conservative supporter of the GOP. Everyone has some political leaning, not all of us have HUGE NEWS NETWORKS to use to share our views.

News is not unbiased. By the power of human nature, all reporting is biased, if even subtly. Fox unfortunately goes to the other end of the spectrum however, featuring conservative rhetoric, themes, and news reporting, unfortunately.

2 comments:

. said...

"Fox unfortunately goes to the other end of the spectrum however, featuring conservative rhetoric, themes, and news reporting, unfortunately."

He says this as if being liberally biased is ok, while being conservatively biased is unfortunate. strange?

Ross said...

False. The comment from a random digg user states that no news is unbiased. Just that Fox goes to an extreme in one of the directions. Perhaps using the word spectrum which implies another side wasn't the right word. Again, these 'news' stations dont just tell the news, they infuse their own opinions and agendas of the companies that pump money into them. News to me is telling me what happened... Not why you think it happened. Listen to NPR or read AP articles or Reuters. You do know other countries have news stations too. Watch the BBC or something.